Friday, November 25, 2005

Walmart Customer Service

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to spend 2 hours at a Walmart, I think I divided it up into a 45 min shift at the "craft" section, 45 min in the "toy" department, 10 min trying to find a price check scanner, and 10 min in line to get a coffee at the McDonalds (I was second in line!).

Checkout wasn't so bad, third in line, wasn't quite sure what was going on with a family just standing at already paid for my items end. Got my items rang through, then realized they were waiting around because they forgot to pick up a pair of mitts and didn't want to get inline again. There was slight chaos, but that isn't uncommon with people getting in gear for winter and the holiday shopping rush. Somehow, one of my purchases was left behind.

This is how I see it going down, as I replay it...MISSING ITEM (not being mentioned because its a xmas gift that I'm going to have to repurchase) 15th item out of 33 to be scanned. LARGE, will only fit in a big bag on its own. MITTEN FAMILY(aka MF)...hovering. COUNTER a mess. MISSING ITEM in bag on its own, possible put on the ground on the Cashiers side. FIVE other bags being filled with remainder of Walmart shopping spree. A member of the MF shows up with mitts, bags are being grabbed, slight scurry by six people standing in a space for about two. DEEP breath, grab bags and leave. MISSING ITEM still on floor by the cashier.

For some reason on my TTC trek to work Wednesday morning, I realized that I hadn't seen one of my biggest(physically) purchases from Walmart around the apartment. This was something I definately couldn't have hid behind the futon or under the kitchen table (because there just isn't room anymore!)

So, okay, I know that calling Walmart on a Wednesday about a Saturday purchase was a bit of a stretch...but no harm in trying, right?

After rummaging through my purse, which is full of napkins and coffee sleeves I found my Walmart receipt, had to google the phone number because its not on there, nor is the location etc (it must all be in that barcode)....anyways...

I'm on hold for about five minutes, which I expected, only to get a crabby woman who rudely said, "I'm all by myself and have two people in line, you'll have to call back."CLICK....Okay! geez.
So I call back, before I can even tell her what the item was, but having had mentioned I was in on Saturday, her response was, "It's WEDNESDAY, are you serious, it won't be here."

Many things were going through my head, surprisingly I didn't snap...however I was able to say aloud...not in this order, "Is there a place you put the items that are left behind?" "Do you need more of a description other than the two words that don't tell you what the item actually is on the receipt?" and "Could you at least look?"....

Her name was Marie (she could have been lying), at the Walmart in Vaughn, ON. Her response was "I can see where it would be if it was here and its not here." Personally I think she was looking at the customers inline waiting for her to get off the phone.

I'm going back to that Walmart tomorrow to be one of those people inline! I wonder if I will be able to see the My Missing Item in the pile where they'd be if it were there?! I also wonder if the call was being monitored. I wonder if I should even bother, but you'd better be sure I'm going to be looking for a Marie!

2 Comments:

At Friday, November 25, 2005 5:46:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I also had a bad walmart experince, customer service was poor and it was a manager I was dealing with. I had a layway and my mom had a layway well the layway girl read off the items on mine to her (which were some of her gifts) and said these are yours right and then said my name, my mom said my mom told her no thats my daughter and told her her name, well to make a long story short my mom ended paying on my layway and not hers beacause the girl couldn't get ir right. They were so mean to me about it when I tried to fix it too.

 
At Sunday, November 27, 2005 2:34:00 PM, Blogger Jay-too said...

So all went well at Walmart yesterday. The trick was to go when they were so busy, the woman (not Marie) just told me to go get another one and come back, granted I had to go find it again and get in the line a second time. But in the end, I got my "gift" back and didn't give Walmart some free money!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home